- Student Selection for Evaluation
- The Cognitive Abilities Screening Test (CogAT) is administered to all 2nd grade students in March. Parents may opt their child out of testing if they choose to. The form is available to parents of 2nd graders at February conferences.
- Parent / guardian or another person affiliated with a child, may nominate the child for testing by completing the Highly Capable Referral online form or returning the paper referral form back to Learning Services during our January/February referral window. (Referral links can be found on the HC main page.)
- Note: Students who transfer in from out-of-district and have qualified in that district's highly capable program are not automatically enrolled.
Ability Tests Used to Determine Eligibility
Cognitive Ability Test (CogAT) – verbal, quantitative, nonverbal and composite scores
Ways Students Become Eligible for Quest
- Two CogAT subtest scores (Verbal, Quantitative, Nonverbal) at or above the 96th%ile, or
- One score at or above the 96th%ile, one score at or above 90th%ile and level 4 SBA, or
- CogAT composite score at or above the 96th%ile
Appeal Testing Conditions
Students who do not meet the qualifying criteria with the CogAT may be eligible for an appeal if one of the following conditions is met:
- CogAT scores are between the 90th and 95th percentile inclusive, or
- If one subtest score is at the 90th percentile or higher and other subtest scores are lower, then student must have scored a Level 4 on both the ELA and Math SBA.
Quest Appeal Testing Procedure
Parents of students who were not eligible for Quest based on the CogAT, but met one of the conditions above, may appeal that decision and have their child take the second test (another version of the CogAT). Without an appeal, the other version of the CogAT is not administered to the student and the student remains ineligible for Quest. If you are interested in appealing, please call Learning Services 465-6033 within 30 days of the postmarked Eligibility Letter you received in US mail.
Parent Notification of Eligibility
Letters of eligibility/ineligibility along with student scores are mailed home.