Parents’ Right to Know: Teacher and Paraprofessional Qualifications
In compliance with the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) the Mead School District would like to inform you that you may request information about the professional qualifications of your student’s teacher(s) or instructional paraprofessional(s).
The following information may be requested for teacher(s):
- Whether the teacher has met Washington teacher certification requirements for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.
- Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional status through which Washington qualifications or certification criteria have been waived.
- The college major and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher.
- Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals, and if so, their qualifications.
The following information may be requested for instructional paraprofessional(s):
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education; or
- Obtained an associate’s or higher degree; or
- Pass the ETS ParaPro Assessment. The assessment measures skills, and content knowledge related to reading, writing and math;
- Completed previously the apprenticeship requirements and must present a journey card or certificate. The portfolio and apprenticeships are no longer offered for enrollment; however, the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) will continue to honor this pathway.
If you wish to request information about the qualifications of your child’s teacher(s) and instructional paraprofessional(s) , please contact your building principal. (School List)
Parent’s Right To Know: Timely Notice of Limited State Certification and Licensure
Parents or legal guardians are provided timely notice when their child has been assigned, or taught for four or more consecutive weeks by, a teacher with limited State certification or licensure requirements at the grade level and subject area in which the teacher has been assigned.