Bridge Building Competition
The STEM Forward Series continues with the annual Bridge Building Competition! Mead School District students in Grades 5-12 are welcome to participate.
- Up to Two (2) students per team - Students may compete individually
- Two-part Registration Process - Deadline January 12, 2024
- Register Participant Names and Shirt Sizes Here
- Join through Google Classroom for Rules and Requirements
- Sign-in to student’s Google Classroom
- Click + in top right corner, click “Join Class”
- Enter class code: finrxou
Competition Date: Feb. 10 – check-in between 9-9:30 a.m., competition begins at 10 a.m.
Competition Location: Mead High School Field House – 302 W Hastings
Using only popsicle sticks and white Elmer’s school glue, each team of one or two students will build a bridge according to the competition's rules and requirements. On competition day, each bridge will be loaded with weight until it breaks and then judged and scored on its efficiency, which is defined as the ratio of its ultimate load capacity to its own weight. Students will need to use creativity, ingenuity, and resourcefulness in order to maximize the strengths and minimize the inherent shortcomings of each material. Plaques and prizes will be awarded to the teams with the top efficiency scores!
Check out this video from a past MSD Bridge Building Competition to get a flavor of competition day!